Thursday, April 30, 2009
This is what she said,
"Amy has a beef with your blog right now."
"Oh I bet she's mad because I STILL have not sent her picture from the give-away forever ago."
"No, no shes fine with that."
"Well..she misses your writing, she loves your pictures and all, but she misses all your funny little stories."
First off awe shucks.. you people actually read this thing!! Secondly, I know Amy, it has been like FOREVER since I wrote something besides my weekly list and posted fantabulous pics.
This was the final kick in the pants I needed.
As of this very late hour (midnight)
I have set up my official photography blog.
(The blog is just in the beginning phase right now and if you are a follower of my blog then you've already seen the pic's)
Amy's (via Karen) nudge pushed me to do something I've been itching to do. Soon you will see the return of writer Amber.. not to be confused with photographer Amber.
Wow it's hard being me:)
Monday, April 27, 2009
She really is an inspiration.
She is Mother to three daughters, Tricia 30, Melody 25 and Karly 20.
I’m super excited she agreed to be interviewed for our first Mommy Monday.
I know you don’t like to talk about your current age (29 right??) but how old were you when you found out you were expecting Tricia?
I was 24. I had married at 20 and immediately wanted kids so 4 years seemed like a long wait.
How did you feel about being pregnant?
I was so excited! I had been told about six months before I became pregnant that we would most likely never have children on our own. We had barely started the adoption process when I found out I was
As a young Mother, was there anything that you said you would never do?? As in, “ I will NEVER give my kids macaroni & cheese!” but of course ended up totally changing your plan after she arrived?
I had to think about this one.. I think that Tricia had it the hardest. I didn’t let her play with Barbies or watch cartoons. I was very strict. When Melody and Karly came along I had grown up a little and relaxed those restrictions. I didn’t have a lot of set ideas in my head about raising kids.
I have always admired your heart for teenagers. Many adults RUN from that age, even now that your own kids are grown you seem drawn to them. Why?
I love teenagers! They both inspire me and drive me crazy. I love that they are making life decisions and being able to be apart of that. I like how funny they are and how if you just love them they respond. They don’t always become Christians, which of course is what I want for them, but I always tell myself that I am planting seeds in their lives. I love to be able to teach them truth and tell them stories about what God has done in my life.
There is a time that I’m thinking of particularly, you had 3 extra girls living with you!! Tell me about that time and what lead up to it?
The first girl we brought into our home was Hosannah. Her parents had promised her she could play soccer in High School and then moved. They asked us to take her for the soccer season. Our daughters were 16, 11 and 6 at the time. A few months after we took in Hosannah there was a family we knew could not cope with one of their daughters. They were going to put her into foster care and I could not sleep thinking of it. I knew this girl had gone through hell in her life already and I just could not do this do her. We then brought her home. A couple of months after that a family in the youth group had a struggle with one of their daughters so we brought her home to live with us as well. She stayed about a year. It was a time of teenage girls at our house. Every day was a different crisis, sometimes multiple times each day. We were a house of females.
I am still in touch with all of them, although they all live out of state. I still pray for them all and love them very much.
Talk to me about having adult children. Is it harder than having babies at home?
No, for me it is not harder. For me, the teenage years were the hardest. The decisions are so life altering that they are making at the time. When they are adults you influence them, but you also understand that they need to make their own decisions. The hardest part of that time is adjusting to them making those decisions and not stepping in too quickly or too much. Sometimes I have to refuse to help them. That part is hard. With teens you still feel responsible and have that worry of doing it wrong. I remember praying when my kids were young that I would remember what it was like to be a teen when my kids got there and hoping it would help in those years.
Do you have any ‘Cyndi Words of Wisdom’ for young mothers?
Pray all the time. It is God who will draw your kids. Don’t wait until your kids are grown up to do the things God has given you passion for. Your kids will be better for having watched you serve and use your gifts. Be content. Make as few rules as possible, then stick with them.
Ok here is the fun question (I mean this can’t be ALL serious)
If you could bake and share anything, what would it be and who would it be with?
That is a hard one because I am a little torn. I love to bake bread pudding and share it with Elaine Tolson because she makes me feel special every time I make it. I also love to cook Thanksgiving dinner. It is my favorite meal of the year to cook and bake. I would share it with everyone I know and love, which you include you dear sister. That might be a lot of people but I would still want it to be cozy. Probably wishful thinking. In my mind it is chaos! I love to cook and try everything different. I have a rule that I cannot posses a cookbook that I don’t try the recipes from. That keeps me trying new things and stretching as a cook.
A very big thanks to Cyndi for doing this interview with me!! What a blessing.
Cyndi is also a fellow blogger, her musings and wisdom can be found here.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
I just don't ever get sick of taking pic's of him:)
Is it totally narcissistic to post a pic of yourself on your own blog??
10. Last week I cut my own bangs and died my own hair. I would like to say I'm doing it because of Dave Ramsey..but really I'm doing it to save money for shopping in Paris:)
9. For all my Christian peeps out there, I found a new blog (the blogs not new, just me finding it is). I love this blog very much. The guy is good. I'm actually anxious for him to post.
8. Zach has been invited up to Alaska for a few days of fishing while I'm in Paris. This makes us look like far more the jet setters than we really are.
7. Last Saturday I received my first delivery of non-pasteurized very fresh cows milk. I drank fresh milk growing up. Oh I loved that milk. This stuff is just as good, oh and super-d-duper good for you.
6. Last Sunday we had over a very old friend.
In fact I'm pretty sure it was Mikey who first said to me..
"Do you ever think about Zach as more than a friend?"
Ahem..you know the rest of that story:)
But let me tell you this guy has every single BAD Amber and Zach story out there. He knows it all..which scares me..alot:)
5. SUN!! It has shown its very bright face here in Washington the past few days. We actually reached like 70 degrees!! I fell asleep in the yard, pulled weeds, and even got a little tan..how nice.
4. Last weekend I made a huge 3 tier chocolate cake (all from scratch) AND strawberry shortcake with yummy REAL whipped cream.
Now on Wednesday I have only one word..DIET.
3. Ok so the other day I accidentally deleted a few comments(this is what happens when Amber is talking on the phone and blogging at the same time). One was from Karen (of course it was some smart @#% comment) and the other was from a stranger. So if you are that stranger I'm sorry!! Comment again! Really I'm not some mean delete the comment type of gal.
2. Can I just fast forward to the part where I'm a real photographer and people are paying me loads of money for my pic's already....I mean come on.
1. I have a little bit of a surprise for you all..make sure you check back Monday. I'm kinda excited about a new project I have brewing.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Saturday, April 11, 2009
|From testy test test|
Ok ladies..here we go!!!
In the spirit of the current season and all things swappy, this years swap will differ from last years just a touch...
Sign-Ups start now..and will be closed in one week, April 18th. Swap items will need to be mailed out no later than May 15th. Your swap guideline is as follows..
We want to stick with the idea of reduce, reuse or recycle OR a hand crafted item..all of the floral orientation.
Meaning..you will provide your swap partner with ONE floralish item that has either been homespun by your sweet little self or has been purchased USED at a garage sale, thrift store, your Grandma's house ect...Along with a spring verse, quote or a prettyish little spring story of your liking.
A sweet little floralish apron..YES!
A sweet hand soldered floralish pendant...YES!
A sweet floral print purchased at a yard sale last summer..YES!
A sweet dozen homemade lavender flavored cookies..YES!
A sweet watercolor painting..I HOPE I HAVE YOU AS MY PARTNER!
Something that has been purchased at Macy's (or any big store)..or homemade by a person other than yourself..NO!!
Make sense?? If not please, please, please ask me questions, I simply love questions from swappy ladies like yourselves:)
K-this is the NOT fun part..the fine print...Please do not sign up for this swap if you have NO intention of sending out a swap item. Truthfully it HURTS my feelings when my swappy ladies get the shaft, I just plain don't like it. If for some strange reason you are unable to meet your obligation in sending out your swap item, PLEASE let myself or your swap partner know. We can always reassign your partner with another gal. Also when I say homemade item..I mean by YOU..not an ETSY purchase. I do love Etsy but this is suppose to be homespun by YOU! It takes away from all things personal and lovely when you just have an item shipped to your partner..that is not the purpose of this swap. Again please ask questions!! Don't be shy,it's better to ask rather than be in over your noggin;) My goal is to host a swap where every single lady gets her swap item..NO MORE HURT LADIES
Now let the fun begin!!
Wednesday, April 08, 2009
We took a little drive when we were sick to see this..so pretty!!
10. Aaahh sun!! It's been so wonderful to get a little color on my face and arms!! Now if it would only stay..wishful thinking:(
9. Isabelle had her first game on Monday, I'm pretty sure I was more nervous than her:)
8. So the worst flu ever is finally vacating the premises..THANK GOD!! Talk about the most wretched week in recent Strehle history, and to have it fall during spring break. It was like Lord of the Flies around here..scary business.
7. Zach bought me a flash for my camera off of craigslist this past weekend. Can I tell you how awesome it is..and how awesome HE is;)
6. So whatcha doing for Easter this year??
5. Have you heard the news?? Zach's store is closing down..hmm what does this mean for the Strehle family?? Not so sure yet.
I think I'm going to hold a vote..
WHERE SHOULD THE STREHLE'S MOVE??
I could pick from the top three..
You know they are opening a Costco in Southern France..that gets my vote;)
4. I have to apologize to you my fellow bloggers..I have let you down..
I received a text from Amy last week (I was beyond sick, sorry I did not respond) it went something like this.."So Amber what ever happened to the 30 days of nothing?" Yeah Amber whatever happened to that?? Here I get on the blog and profess that we (all 10 of us) should do this..and then I totally bail. I have only one lame excuse..moving. I was totally planning on hitting that in February..then February came and went. Now we are in April. Sorry guys I need to regroup..
3. So my longing for a home of my own is going into double time. It's been too long now, I'm ready. This whole renting and moving every couple of months thing is way overrated!! It was easier for me to do in AZ, there was no chance of a garden or green yard there..but here..the yard calls to me, the vision of green veggies and a bumper dahlia crop haunt me. I'm longing once again to paint..create a home.
But given #5, this just might have to wait..Only God knows and for now I need to be ok with that.
2. Man this is a deep list. I just have too much to talk about with you all:)
1. Swappy Ladies!!!
Here's the 411..
Be looking for a post hopefully by the end of the week.
The spring theme this year is...Fabulously Floral..I mean it is SPRING after all.
I'm thinking it's going to be in the same spirit of something vintagy and something homemade.
Be looking ladies!!