Sunday, June 29, 2008
Thursday, June 26, 2008
10. Thank you cookies for Jeff..The husband thought I was totally weird taking pictures of the cookies..he should be used to it by now:)
9. Packing, Packing Packing..living the well traveled life is not easy and it's not easy on the waist line either..I need to go on a diet..in a while..when I get back..for New Years?:)
8. Thursday I received two very sweet and encouraging notes in the mail. They made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside..thanks guys;)
7. So polls already show Obama up by 14 points SHOCKING!! If the media had its way McCain might as well drop out tomorrow.
6. Have you ever noticed how God almost always does the opposite of what we would have done...funny how much NOT in control of our lives we are..don't try and think about that too much, it might hurt your noggin.
5. Right now here in AZ you cannot get cold water out of the tap..I know this sounds crazy for all you Washingtonish people but its true.
4. If you know the husband you will appreciate this... if you look close you will notice pictured below is our itinerary for "Strehle Road Trip 2008". Yes he has even graciously scheduled us 30 minutes of potty breaks per day. Along with scheduling lunch stops, sight seeing stops, total gas cost (its cheaper than flying..barely) and of course how many miles we must travel per day to accomplish our arrival date of the 3rd. Let me ask you..WHO ARE THE TYPE OF PEOPLE WHO DO THIS??
Well apparently they are the husband and even though I have questioned it a few times I do love him..go figure:)
3. I know I said this a few weeks ago on my list but as life moves along and the world becomes increasingly unsteady..
I want you all to MAKE YOUR MARRIAGE A PRIORITY!!
I love you all too much to see the pain, it's killing me:(
2.Thanks to the gf's for sending so much comment love to Anna, you all make me swell up with gf pride..your all just so stinking great!!
1. This Wednesday it became official. Cornerstone is our church home. After a year I can truly say we belong (In fact today I got all defensive about big churches!). People are actually going to miss us when we are gone (or at least thats what they told me) and truthfully I'm going to miss them. Apparently spending a week with no electricity in the midst of 200 hundred 5th and 6th graders creates a tight bond, who would have thought:)
I'm still enjoying this awesome camera!! Yeah!
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Sunday, June 22, 2008
I have this picture of myself with my group of camp friends from the year I went to 5th/6th grade camp. I remember it very distinctly, I had wonderfully rosy cheeks and freckles from a week of too much sun (sunscreen?? who needs it!) natural blond highlights from the sun, curly hair from no hair dryer or flat iron, a group of great kids gathered around, mostly boys, and no not boys in the boyfriend/girlfriend sort of way, boys from the lets just hang out and have fun kinda way. The best kind of boys.
We all had our camp t-shirts on, mine bright fuchsia pink that looked fab with my tan skin (even then I had a eye for fashion). Best part..I had this huge smile on my face, I LOVED that week of camp. I can't remember being home sick, but I do remember crying my eyes out the last day. I even still remember my camp counselor's name..Sporty. She sent me letters for about a year after camp..man she was good.
Fast forward about 20 or so years..
If I were to describe a picture of this past week I would say that my hair was about the same, even though I did bring my hair dryer and flat iron we had no power..there were very few options for nice hair and after a few days I really didn't care anyway. I did have highlights in my hair but not from the sun:) I still got too much sun although, all my freckles have sadly faded. I did have alot of boys around me at camp, but most importantly I had my husband.
(Just a side note on the husband..he was sooo WONDERFUL to have around, even after 15 years together I'm still totally smitten with him, he is just such a good man, a really good man)
I would see a bear that kept visiting the camp very early in the morning, luckily that meant that all of us counselors saw the bear and not the kiddos.
I would see that boys never really grow up or out of that "king of the hill" phase..no matter if they are a Youth Pastor/Costco Big Shot/Toxicologist/World Health College student, they will still Indian leg wrestle, race up hills, play with bouncy balls and push each other into lakes or other standing bodies of water just to be the coolest kid on the block.
The people in this picture were all new friends that quickly became old friends. Peeps like myself with the knack for getting shushed by those younger than yourself and laughing so hard you just might pee your pants (which I actually did..twice).
In this picture I saw my two eldest sons being baptised in a little creek, under a suspension bridge up in the mountains of California. I guess I always thought they would be baptised in the Sultan river or at Weidiger's pool where I was baptised..crazy the places our life has now taken us. It was sooo cool/awesome/incredible for us to watch our two eldest sons make this public profession of their faith and be baptised in the midst of almost strangers.. really beyond words.
Also in this picture I saw our family (minus two) finding a little bit more of home here, with people who get us. This picture shows us knowing that God meant for us to be in AZ and meant for this past year to change us.
This camp picture may show more gray in my hair but it also shows more heart from the Strehle family than I would have ever thought possible.
Let me leave you with this quote from Dylan.
"You know I'm glad we moved to Arizona, when we lived in Washington our lives were just sunshine and roses, in Arizona we learned to depend on God more..live free or die hard."
I could not have said it better myself:)
Friday, June 13, 2008
I took this picture without even trying..look how wonderful it turned out. I think I might pee my pants I'm soo excited right now!! Yipee! A big thanks to my Aunt and Uncle!!
4. I'm gone all next week..no phone, no wi-fi, no texting and worst of all..no blogging. It's like a mini detox for me. I'm very excited for camp. Can't wait to be in the trees with some fresh air.
3. I checked out 4 fiction books from the library this week. I don't read fiction very often, but a week with no electronics totally warrants 4 books. I'm already half through with one, it will be a good week away.
2. I do have to give my husband and two AZ gf's a shout out for taking care of the kiddos while I was at Farm Chicks. You all made a very fun trip even better, without you the trip would not have been possible. Of course Zach had the house clean the kiddos smiling when I returned..what a great guy I have:)
1. I'm very proud of the sis..she has been invited to a really great sale this coming summer AND she has been asked to make a ton of cupcakes for a different sale this summer AND did I mention she has 5 kids AND keeps her house clean AND looks like a surfer model for Roxy?? I hope when she is famous she remembers the "smart" sister..the one WITHOUT the looks;)
Much crafty love to you all..I will "see" you next week!! Wish me luck;)
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
As we were rolling down the runway getting ready to take off back to to AZ last night, the clouds parted and the sun finally broke through, it was a beautiful sight. The moment Seattleish type folks wait for all spring..throw off the parka's and wool socks and head out of doors.
On the flight in a older gentleman next to me said "The sky in Washington is the bluest I've ever seen..for those 6 weeks out of the year.":)
How do I feel one year later? I feel good. I have always been a sink or swim type person, pull up the big girl panties and move ahead..is pretty much how I plow along. This time I was surprised as to how hard it was to pull up those panties. It was a hard adjustment for small town Amber and family, but I feel like we have made it through the worst and are coming out the other side. Would I want to do it over?
No, not particularly, but I'm glad God chose to pluck us out of our comfort and I see his hand in my new life everyday. Washington will always be home and one day I hope to return, but I'm very excited to experience the "in-between".
So here's to my first year here in AZ, a year of many firsts and hopefully many more firsts to come.
Sunday, June 08, 2008
Thursday, June 05, 2008
Ok all of you blog groupies you.. I know you are awaiting the "witty" comments I promised to provide, but you see I'm tired..too much sun, not enough sleep and sore stomach muscles from laughing too hard have worn me out (rough life, I know). So, until the post Mexico fog clears I will give you the list. It never requires much thought or time (cuz I have a ton of laundry to do!)
10. The shoe made it through the boarder crossing just fine, poor guy felt a little violated after the full body search..but he will manage.
9. This was the best find of my trip.
8. She was stone sober when she posed for this picture.
7. So Hil is going to concede on Saturday. Get ready for a very long election season.
6. I'm SOOO over celebrities claiming they are going to move out of the country if.. so and so wins. PLEASE LEAVE!! This country would be better off without you all.
5. I love these guys.
4. Here are two of my three AZ gf's..I had a great time with these ladies this past week. Thanks for the laughs:) 3. People who don't blog do not understand those of us who do. Here are some of my awesome bloggy photo's.
2. The Dish is going to be the big 30 on the 15th..She will never again be able to shop at Forever21. Please remember to give her a shout out.
1. Farm Chicks here I come!! Last time this is what I came home with, the hubby just about died, it was love at first sight for me. (Why was everyone staring) Let see what I can manage to drag home this time:)
Sunday, June 01, 2008
Cute sun hat..check
It's kinda a long story and since I'm leaving in like 15 minutes I can't really go into detail right now. But we have a long standing joke with these guys and they ditched us with the shoe at Thanksgiving.. and now I have demised the most perfect plan ever (hear my diabolical laughter in the background?) to return the shoe. It will be a very well traveled shoe by the time it is returned to its rightful owners... stay tuned:)
Viva La Mexico!